Both of my boys are sports mad and with half term on the horizon I have been looking into things we can do as a family that is of interest to my difficult tweens! Yes, they could do these activities on their own, but we are all about having fun and making memories as a family.
Both of my boys are pretty sporty, with Maxi playing in a local football team and Mini playing cricket. Neither of them turn down the opportunity to be active and have fun. They will try any sport and are both really competitive. Mini has represented the school in athletics, tennis and crick and Maxi at football and athletics. Maxi is looking forward to moving to senior school and the opportunity to go on an organised school football tour whereas Mini is looking forward to the school skiing trip.
I have learned that one of the things they love doing as a family is sports style activities. They make for a great family day out and we it seems that competition is something that runs in the family.
10 Family Activities for sports mad kids
- National Football Museum – I have visited the National Football Museum before with my boys and their friends and they totally had a blast. You can test your skills with interactive football games, have a go at being the next Gary Lineker and learn all about the beautiful game.
- FootGolf – A hybrid between football and golf. I was hoping that I might be able to take the kids on with this fab game!
- Bubble Football – This is a blast if you have a group of kids to keep entertained. I don’t think I have laughed as much in a long time as watching them all bounce into each other!
- Tennis – If the weather is good there is nothing nicer than packing a picnic and going to a local park with tennis courts. We often grab our rackets and have a fun family tournament.
- Horse Riding – I am going to admit that I have a big fear of horses after being bitten as a child, but that doesn’t mean that the boys need suffer the same fate. We are so lucky to live near a beach and there is something so magical about pony trekking on the beach.
- Surfing – I know we live in the North of England, but believe it or not we have a super surfing beach right on our doorstep and yes the North Sea will be cold, but how much fun could be had learning to surf as a family. If you don;t fancy learning in the sea, then your local swimming pool might have a flow rider like ours does.
- Mountain biking – Our local forest is Dalby and it is a great place for bike riding as a family. Don’t worry of you do not have your own bikes or a car carrier for them you can always rent them. Why not take a look at the Forestry Commission site and find your local forest and bike hire. I love visiting Dalby, the boys and MadDad take their bikes, whilst me and Alvin start the BBQ and cook up a storm for when they return starving.
- Crazy Golf – We are all as bad as each other when it comes to golf, so mini golf or crazy golf is certainly a barrel of laughs for us.
- Archery – I love that archery is a really leveling sport and also one that I can beat the rest of the family at!
- Sailing – This is one activity that we are looking to do as a family. We have a large watersports center near us and I am going to look into it for some of the weekends over the summer.
A sports break – If you are looking for the perfect holiday for a sports mad family then take a look at our review of a coaching break with Potters Leisure. Both of the boys are desperate to go back and tried their hands at curling, football, lawn bowls, bowling, tennis, climbing, karting, archery, table tennis, swimming and golf to name just a few!