I have recently been tested for celiacs, but thankfully this came back negative, however, on doctors orders I have been reducing my intake of gluten. One of the flours that my body can deal with is spelt. As a family we love baking and the boys both adore banana bread, so here is my take on banana bread made with spelt flour.
As this is a recipe that I bake regularly with the boys, we use cups to measure it out. This makes it super quick and simple for the boys to actually make themselves.
- 3 mashed bananas
- ¼ cup of oil, however we use Flora Cuisine
- ½ brown sugar
- ¼ cup of caster sugar
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup of wholemeal spelt flour
- ½ plain flour
- pinch of salt
- handful og choc chips or chopped nuts (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 170 (fan) or 190
- Mash the bananas and combine them with the oil and sugars
- Add the salt and baking powder to the flours and mix
- Do not over mix, just stir until all the ingredients are combined
- Add chocolate chips or nuts and gently stir
- Cook in a greased loaf tin or a silicone loaf tin
- Bake for 35 to 45 minutes
- Remove from the oven and leave on wire tray to cool
I am always on the lookout for ways to make my baking healthier and have really enjoyed cooking with Flora Cuisine which is a blend of sunflower, linseed and rapeseed oils, has 45% less saturated fat than olive oil and is high in omega 3.
You can see more images in my Google+ Album
I am a member of the Collective Bias™ Social Fabric® Community. This content has been compensated as part of a social shopper insights study for Collective Bias® #CBias #SocialFabric.