I have always loved the look of dried orange slices and there were plenty of them used in decorations at York Christmas Market when we visited, so I wanted to try making some myself They are very easy to make and really effective too.
- Wire tray (I used one of my cooling trays)
- The hardest part of this is having the patience to wait for them to be dry!
- Slice your oranges into 1 cm strips. Make sure that you cut the oranges cross ways so you get the pretty segmented look. Discard the ends.
- Blot any excess juice onto a paper towel or tea towel.
- Place the slices onto a wire rack.
- Place in your oven at 90 degrees centigrade for 3 hours, turning once.
- Allow to dry overnight.
I made a second batch and dipped them in lemon juice which is supposed to preserve the colour, but there was no difference at all! The house smelt delicious when I was drying them and you could also use a dehydrator if you have one, but it is days like today that have been dreaming about owning an Aga.