We love giving homemade personalised gifts here in The Mad House and we have been busy pinning personalised and monogrammed mugs for ages. Mini decided that these would make a great Fathers Day mug for MadDad (don't panic Father's day isn't till the 15th June this year). These are so simple to make and if you do not have a Cricut Explore then do not despair as you could either use letter stickers or even print some out on your printer and cut them out. Materials:
- Cricut Explore and vinyl or Scrapbooking Stickers
- Porcelain Pens - Ours are from Yellow Moon, but I can not see them on their website, but they are on Amazon here
- Mugs - Ours were £1.75 for a set of four from Asda
Top tip - Do not use sharpies. I know there are a lot of pins on pinterest using sharpies, but I tried it and they do come off in the dishwasher. Using porcelain paint pens makes all the difference as we are still using and dishwashing things that we used these pens on three years later.How to make vinyl template using the Cricut Explore
How to make Dad mugs
- As I said above, do not worry if you do not have one of these fab cutting machines, you can use paper or scrapbooking stickers.
- Position them on to the mugs.
- As this was something the boys were doing we kept things really simple and use gold dots to create the negative space for the letters and then they coloured in the stencil one with silver porcelain pen.
- I think that monograms would look fab with black chevrons or stripes and we are planning those for teacher gifts.
- Once the paint has dried then carefully peel away the stencils and fix the mugs in a non preheated oven as per instructions, this will make them dishwasher safe.
- Dont forget to get your child to pop their name and the date on the underside of the mug.