We have just got a new washing machine and I am determined to make it last by ensuring that it is cleaned regularly (although our new machine is self cleaning)! My last washing machine was cleaned on a monthly basis and lasted nine years, so I am determined that this fantastic new Hotpoint RSG964JW SMART+ Washing Machine (The rsg 964 jx has now been discontinued, but you can now get the rsg 964 jx which has the same specs and an updated finish) lasts at least that long (well it does come with a ten year parts guarantee)!
So before I get to how to clean your washing machine, I want to share with you our thoughts about the new washing machine. Although we are only a family of four and have a pretty average amount of washing, it does have to cope with a lot of dirt and mud, from the boys playing football. So we have really put the washer through its paces. Sorry about the images, but our utility area is in a little corridor, so getting pictures is rather challenging!
What we like about the Hotpoint RSG964JW SMART+ Washing Machine
- It washes effectively at low temperatures. I was astounded that the washer only had a cold fill, but was still A+++ rated for energy efficiency. To be honest, it isn’t the energy efficiency that was my main concern, no my main concern is getting clothes clean first time and it does, but it does it in an energy saving manner!
- It is great at removing stains. Since we got the new machine I haven’t had to use any stain remover products at all. In the past I had to pretreat some of the stains including mud, not anymore.
- It has a 1600 spin speed – which means that clothes take less drying.
- It holds 9kg of washing. Perfect for the average family.
- It is super quiet. Our house is pretty open plan and we don’t tend to close the doors we have. I seriously can not tell when the washer is on if I am sat in our living room. Even if you are sat in the kitchen when it is on you can talk at normal levels. It is remarkably quiet.
- It is easy to use. We can all use the washer. We didn’t need to read the manual, the settings are really intuitive. even the boys can put the wash on and they do.
- It has a special direct injection magic thing that premixes your liquid or powder, so it enters the machine ready to set straight to work on stains.
- It is great value. It is about 2/3 of the price we paid for our last machine and I believe it is superb value for money.
- The fast wash does a decent job of refreshing clothes that are not overly dirty.
If you are on the lookout for a fab family washing machine, then we can recommend the Hotpoint RSG964JW SMART+ Washing Machine. It is perfect if you have just had a baby too, as it has a special baby wash setting too.
The only thing that took some getting use to was the liquid dispenser drawer, which opens to the side rather than pulls out. It is a quirky little detail! I have to say my stand out from the washing machine is the direct injection technology that works to mix the laundry detergent liquid with water before adding it to the machine. I have found that we need to use less liquid to clean the same amount of clothes in our old machine.
But if you ar not lucky enough to own a self-cleaning washing machine, then read on:
How to clean your Washing Machine
I am a firm believer in looking after the things you already have and making sure that they last as long as possible and this is why I clean my washing machine once a month or once every other month depending on use. I have found that as I am washing more at 30 degrees and even 20 degrees with my fab new washer, that I need to clean the gunk out of it more regularly.
We have just replaced our current washer after 11 years, so looking after and regularly cleaning your washing machine is really important. Plus how can you expect to get clean clothes out of a dirty machine? So all of the images below are of our old washing machine.
- Add two cups of bleach to the powder drawer.
- Run the washer on a hot wash empty. As we use liquid or powders in the machine and run it at 30 degrees there is often a build up of unused product in the machine. This will remove it and make sure that it is removed and that there is no buildup of bacteria and help with stain removal.
- Add two cups of white vinegar to the powder drawer.
- Run the washer on a 40-degree wash. The vinegar will ensure that you have no odor issues
- Remove the powder drawer and soak for 20 minutes in the sink in hot water with one cup of bleach.
- Take a cloth and damp it using the water the powder dispenser is soaking in and run around the door seal, ensuring to pull it back to clean all areas.
- Take a clean damp cloth and wipe the door area and seal.
- Using the bleach solution cloth, wipe inside the machine where the powder dispenser goes.
- You may need to use a toothbrush to clean the powder drawer.
- Once clean, take out and dry it and replace it in the machine.
- Check your washers filter for coins and odd socks!