I love this time of year, It makes me feel all crafty so the boys and I decided to make some vintage spool christmas decorations to combine my love of sewing and their of making things for Christmas. They love looking back at the decorations they have made in previous years.
- Vintage spools or empty cotton reels
- Ribbon (one for tying round and another for the hanging)
- Glue gun
- Embellishments (ours were felt)
- Measure the ribbon, so that you have just enough to wrap round the spool ot reel.
- Apply a blob of glue and attach the end.
- Wrap round and attach with a further blob of glue.
- Take a ribbon and thread through the hole in the reel or spool
- Knot the bottom allow sufficient for a decorative dangle!
- Apply hot glue to the bottom of the opening and allow to dry against the knot
- We finally applied a felt christmas tree embellishment to a number of the decorations to hide the seam.
We have also made air drying clay ornaments, which are great for slightly older children to make.