DIY Temporary cake stands is a paid collaborative post with Bostik.
Cake stands make elegant table pieces for a party and making them couldn’t be more straightforward with our Blu Tack Hack.
I love cake stands, I think they are a fantastic way to set a table giving varying heights for the food and also they look good. I have something of a passion for them and when my mum died I took all hers and now I pretty much have a sideboard full of them, however, that is not always enough!
Sometimes I want a different size, colour or I just want to raise a plate off the table to give more height or interest and that is where this simple hack comes in so you can make as many DIY temporary cake stands as you want.
What can Blu Tack be used for?
Other than just attaching posters to walls, Blu Tack has other uses. You will always find a ball of it on my desk as I tend to use it as a fidget tool, if it is not on y desk then changes are Mini will have pinched it and will be doing the same!
Other uses for Blu Tack include…
- Sticking behind picture frames to keep them straight (I do this all the time)
- Creating 3 Dimensional Models.
- Doing a dry lay with tiles.
- Attaching screws to the screwdriver for hard to reach places (this is a game changer).
- Cleaning dust of computer keyboards.
- Make Blu Tack slime which is borax free
- Holding components in place while soldering.
- Holding ornaments in place on shelves and windowsills.
- Removing hair from clothes.
- Sealing around windows.
- For holding bowls whilst you make ice bowls
- for holding eggs in place whilst you decorate them.
- Holding items in place to reduce vibration.
- Cutting out felt shapes.
- Holding tape measures in place.
- Make perfect holes in vellum and card without creases.
- Picking up pins and other small objects.
- Picking up glitter.
- DIY Printing.
- Holding parts in place while glueing.
- On the bottom of candles to keep them upright.
DIY Temporary cake stands
I have seen some fabulous homemade cake stands but I didn’t want to make permanent stands just temporary ones. This is where Blu Tack comes in. As it is a removable adhesive it works to temporarily join items, this means you can use items you already own such as a plate as the top of your cake stand and an upside-down jar, cup or candlestick holder for the base. Then once the party is over you can then return all items to their rightful place!
- Teacups and saucers
- Blu Tack
How to make DIY Temporary cake stands
Warm up your Blu Tack, this makes it more pliable and helps it adhere easier.
Apply the Blue tack on to the centre of the base the plate or platter that is going to be the top of the cake stand. Press lightly and hold it for a few seconds while the Blue tack is setting. Allow the Blu Tack to cool to room temperature for 10 minutes before using or moving your cake stand.
I am so pleased at how these turned out and now I am keeping my eyes out for different bowls and plates to make more for the summer.