We have a fantastic art gallery near us called Arts Bank (yep it used to be a bank and now it is a gallery). It is somewhere both me and the boys love to go. They have five floors of artwork and also a fab cafe on the ground floor. We visited again recently and I was inspired by some patchwork that we saw to make Fabric Patchwork pots (we gave them to my MIL for Mothers Day, so I didn’t want to spoil the surprise as she reads my blog)!. I am also on the lookout in the charity hops for some lampshades I can transform too. I
- Terracotta plant post (but you could use plastic ones too)
- A selection of Fabric. I used Hunky Dorky by Moda, which I had in my stash
- Mod Podge or watered down PVA as per Kelly’s post
- A brush or sponge applicator
- Clear spray sealant (if you want to use them outside)
I cut up my fabric in to a selection of squares and rectangles.
Then I coated the pot with Mod Podge, before arranging a square on top and covering with yet more Mod Podge, before placing another piece of fabric on the flower pot.
When ever I added a piece that went over the top or bottom of the pot, I made sure to snip the fabric vertically (cut slits), so it folded better and prevented puckering.
Once the whole pot was covered, I made sure that all the fabric was coated with Mod Podge and allowed it to dry for 24 hours.
As I was giving the pots as a gift, I made sure that I protected them with Rust-oleum Crystal clear in Matt, which I also used for my coasters.
As it happens, Kat from Housewife Confidential also posted some patchwork flower pots last week and hers are much neater than mine!