We are half way through the Easter holidays here in the Mad House and we are trying to be as frugal as possible, so that we can save up for a shad for the garden. So we are doing as much no cost spring activities as we can.
Now I know this can be a lot simpler for me as a I have a HUGE cupboard full of craft items and we can work our way through those without having to buy anything new, but I know that isn’t always as possible for everyone. So here are some fun free activities perfect for Spring.
10 Free Spring activities
- Get outside and play football or cricket. My boys are ten and nearly nine and as soon as they get outside and play a huge group of kids join in.
- Go to the park, woods or the beach. We are pretty lucky to have two out of three within walking distance and the other within cycling distance.
- Get outside in the garden. clear the weeds, pick up the litter and prepare the soil for planting. Or if you are lucky enough to have a trampoline get bouncing. Small kids love painting with just water and a paintbrush. Why not give all the outside toys a good clean ready for summer.
- Go on an adventure (what I always call a walk to try and interest the boys)! You could go looking for things of certain colours, a nature hunt or even geocaching.
- Go to the Library. We love visiting the local library and why not go and find books all about Spring.
- Go fly a kite. We are lucky enough to have a couple of kites, but if you don’t then you could always make one first.
- Make and sail boats – we always have a large recycling pile, which is perfect for junk modeling, so set a challenge to make a boat and sail it.
- Bird Watch – spring is a great time for making some bird food and watching the birds coming in to the garden.
- Have a family bubble blowing competition. We have a favorite homemade bubble solution mix and love making the most of Spring days!
- Paint the pavement – making sidewalk paint was one of our earliest tutorials and we still love making it. You could use if to make a hopscotch game and have some fun.
What are your favorite free family activities to do in the Spring?
As it is Easter Sunday, has the Easter Bunny visited your family? I loved this free bunny footprint template from My Bored Toddler
Do you have a post that is about thrifty parenting, decorating or lifestyle. One that is about frugal food or crafts and art. or even a post about making the post of what you have, then please do link up. Each week we make sure we pin the post, feature some on our facebook pages and then we each have a round up on a Sunday.
Let’s all share that being frugal can be fabulous.
<a href=”https://www.muminthemadhouse.com/” rel=”nofollow” target=”_blank”>
<img src=”https://www.muminthemadhouse.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/fab-frugal-mad-house.jpg” alt=”The Mad House” width=”250″ height=”250″ />
Please take a look at my fab co hosts and their posts, Cass at Dairy of a Frugal Family, A Thrifty Mum and Emma at Mum’s Savvy Savings to see if you have been featured.
Great tips! We painted boiled eggs today, rolled them down the hill in a race and then ate them for lunch! A great day out for £1.75! Sophie – http://www.workingmotheroftheyear.com
great ideas, we spent our weekend tracing activity sheets then giving them to kids to fill out , they spent all day yesterday and had great fun , not even printing costs involved just paper they already had
Some lovely and simple ideas here. Proves you don’t need to spend a lot to have fun!
What some wonderful ideas, I used to love finally being able to get out and about more in Spring as a child.
Fab ideas. We take the kids on long walks, especially now we have a dog! The park and playing outside on bikes etc is a fave too
There are so many free activities out there that there’s plenty to do without breaking the bank.
We have a rather well stocked craft cupboard too. Loving these Jen, we will be trying some soon
I like your ideas- particularly the boat building 🙂 We decorated and rolled our boiled eggs yesterday, and today was the first time the children had their bikes out at our new house- they cycled round the house for hours!
We love getting out in the fresh air for a walk or bike ride. Love your crafty ideas too though for when we get back inside! x
Some great ideas, we love visiting our local library plus they often have craft sessions on for the children.
Some fabulous ideas, it is nice for kids to be out in the fresh air, tired and worn out x
Love your ideas! One idea we are going to try is a Sand and Water Table.
Do love a good game of hopscotch
Great ideas! We’ve been out exploring new parks this weekend and the kids loved it!
Some great ideas here! Have pinned 🙂 #pinitparty
Great ideas lovely! We went for a walk in the fens yesterday which was lovely 🙂
One of the favorite activities of my daughters is to paint the pavement with chalks. They love to draw and outside is even more fun!
Some good tips. Glad to see plenty of oudoor mentions now the weather is improving. Lets get kids active!
Love the idea of bird watching! Thanks for linking up at Motivational Monday! Hope to see you link up again tomorrow.
Lovely ideas here jen and I must get my act together and join in your linky!
Lovely ideas, thank you.
We always let kids make their own plant basket at the begging of the spring so later on they can observe how they creation is growing.
These sound like some very fun filled ideas, I am sure kids will enjoy them.
What a great list! Thanks for linking up at the Thoughtful Spot Weekly Blog Hop! We hope you join us again next week!