Now I know that now everyone is as relaxed as I am when it comes to kids painting and the mess it can create. But the summer is a great time to try and lower your worry factor and get painting outdoors.
The key to being more relaxed is preparation, so get a big bowl of soapy water and a towel ready for cleanups. I have even been known to take the hosepipe to the boys to clean them up or bath them in the paddling pool.
We are big fans of the large rolls of paper that you can get from Ikea.
- Painting doesn’t always have to do done with a paintbrush and by using carpet squares you are introducing new textures to your child.
- I love the idea of painting with water pistols. it would be fab to cover the fence with paper and it would be great fun too.
- If you want to contain the mess to a specific area, they way not try ball painting in the paddling pool. This is on our to do list for the summer holidays.
- We love sidewalk or pavement paint. it is so easy to make your own and is just so much fun and a different take on just using chalk
- How about using bouncing balls to paint with. This is another activity on our summer to do list. It is a great skill to pick up wet and slippy bouncing balls.
- My boys love to feel paint between their toes and we often make footprint wrapping paper.
- When you are feeling a little more adventurous, then give this fantastic Ice cube painting with insects ago. It is is wonderful activity that would be perfect for a warm summer day.
I am happy to be participating in HOP FOR HOPE, which is a blog hop dedicated to Savannah Hope who is the new daughter of Heather from Crayon Box Chronicles. Savannah Hope was diagnosed in utero with life-threatening birth defect of the diaphragm, congenital diaphragmatic hernia. You can read more of Savannah Hope’s journey here.
You can also connect with Heather & Savannah Hope here:
Facebook – Donation Page – Blog
Oh we do love painting outside – so much fun in the summer, our favourite is walking on the paper 🙂
I really like the idea of painting with the water pistols as its something my son loves playing with but getting him to sit down and paint always ends in a mess so a great idea for us to try outside 🙂
My two kiddiwinks love painting – I love doing hand/foot prints on blank canvas’ to showcase how much they grow!
And now the sun is out, we can do messy play in the garden!
Love messy crafts in the garden can just hose it all away. Great ideas!x
I must admit I don’t like getting too messy with the kids, but I like your idea about keeping it to one area of the garden & hosing them off afterwards!!! Great tip Lizzie XO
Fab ideas – my boys would do some damage with paint-fllled water pistols lol!
Painting with water pistols sounds fun!
Great ideas – we love footprint painting,
And will have to try the ball painting!
Great ideas, thanks for sharing them all x
I’m definitely going to be taking our painting outdoors now! What lovely ideas
I think my painting days are over with my two – unless it’s painting nails with B lol x
It’s been ages since the girls asked to do some painting. I can’t say I’m sad about that because I really don’t like all the clean up that has to be done afterwards!
We love messy outdoors stuff, especially if it can be washed down afterwards. I love mixing different paints and using things we find in the garden to make marks on the paper with too.