We are now over two weeks in to #Crocktober and we have been making the most of our slow cooker crockpot. As a busy mum I love my slow cooker and it is perfect for family meals.
Slow cooker jacket potatoes
Baked potatoes are fantastic in the slow cooker and they only use about 10p of electricity, so they are a super economical meal too.
I wrap four large potatoes in tinfoil and place in the slow cooker for 4 hours on high or 8 hours on low. Now if you like your skins crispy, then take off the tin foil and cook on high for 20 minutes to dry them out.
Slow cooker chicken curry
- Leftover chicken Meat or uncooked chicken
- 2 Onions (sliced)
- 1 or 2 chillies (deseeded and chopped) or dried chillies if it is all you have
- 2 cloves of garlic, peeled and chopped
- 1 inch piece of root ginger, peeled and chopped (you can freeze any spare)
- half teaspoon of ground turmeric
- half teaspoon chilli powder
- 5 tomatoes or tin of chopped tomatoes or pasata (I use what ever we have in)
- 1 teaspoon garam Marsala
- Veg – today it has carrots, peppers, swede and halved new potatoes in as that is what I in
Make sure the veg is covered with liquid by adding more water. I thickened the gravy at the end with cornflour mixed with water.
Tip – Use frozen cubes of chopped chilli, garlic and ginger instead of fresh
Again I cook for four hours on high or eight hours on low. I always serve my curry to the kids with either natural yogurt or coconut yogurt so they can mellow the heat if necessary.
- Bag of frozen Quorn mince
- Pasata or chopped tinned tomatoes
- One diced onion or frozen chopped onion
- tablespoon of worcestershire sauce
- two tablespoons of tomato puree
- herbs – I used a dried italian mix
Cook for four hours on high or eight hours on low
This is super simple and makes THE BEST chicken stock. Once you have made it this way you will always make it this way.
- Chicken Carcass
- Boiling water to cover
- Odds and ends of vegetables
- seasoning to taste
Cook overnight or for at least eight hours and strain. You can also remove any meat from the boxes to use in soup.
Beef and Ale
- Diced stewing steak or braising steak
- 2 onions
- Can of Guinness
- Cornflour to thicken
- Worcestershire sauce
Brown off the beef and add to the slow cooker with the rest of the ingredients. Cook for four hours on high or eight hours on low. I serve this with dumplings or make double and make a pie too.