Mini has worn glasses since he was two years old. He has also been going to the swimming pool since he was 3 weeks old. He has always been a very water confident child, but we did encounter issues with him in large group situations at swimming lessons and that was when we learned about prescription swimming goggles for kids from his swimming tutor.
Back then we had no option but to purchase his prescription swimming goggles from the Internet, however they made a vast difference and in just one week he went from messing around in the water to swimming 25 meters!
This year Mini for a new pair of prescription swimming goggles for kids from Boots Opticians. It was a really great experience and much improved to purchasing online as he could physically try on the goggles for size before they ordered a pair in his prescription.
As someone who has had laser eye surgery and understands the life changing experience having clear vision in the swimming pool is, I would do anything so that my child can experience this. The thing is prescription swimming goggles are NOT expensive and most pairs come in well under £50. Mini has only been through two pairs in the last five years, making them really reasonable in price.
The benefits of prescription swimming goggles for kids
- You can not underestimate the confidence that is gained in the water when you child can see clearly.
- Being able to see clearly increases your child’s ability to concentrate and take instructions, as pools are really loud places a lot of communication is more than verbal.
- Goggles protect the eye from harsh chemicals in swimming pools with the added advantage of being able to see clearer.
- There is no risk of damage to glasses whilst in the pool or of infection if wearing contact lenses in the water (which I have worn in the past so that I could see)
- Being able to see in the water really helps improve hand eye coordination, especially as water and light can distort distance and vision.
I can not recommend prescription swimming goggles for kids or adults enough. Not only does Mini have them, but since getting them my Brother in Law has purchased a pair. You can also get adult prescription goggles from Boots and prescription swimming and scuba masks too.
Disclosure: We were provided with a pair of prescription goggles for Mini and a trip to Splash Landings.