We first made these back in December 2010 and I still use my not so ginery gingerbread recipe. I think I first saw this on Martha Stewart’s web site a long time ago and we have been making them every year since and they have become part of our Christmas and Advent tradition.
Ingredients – for the decorating
- Chocolate (I use milk)
- Mini smarties
- Icing – I use ready made writing icing!
- Melt the chocolate (I do this in a heatproof bowl over a pan with some water in, making sure the water doesn’t touch the bottom of the bowl) You can also do it in the microwave.
- Transfer to a piping bag and with a non decorative tip pipe the face and antlers.
- Before the chocolate sets add a red candy cover chocolate for the note and white ones for the eyes and allow to set for 10 minutes.
- Then ice on the pupils and the ears.
The MiniMads love doing this and we give them to the teachers each year as well as leaving them out for Father Christmas (Oh and obviously we eat quite a few too!
What a great idea! They look brilliant, and love that they’ve become part of the traditions, too x
Your Comments – I first saw these on Martha’s site too. Such a creative use of a cutter you already have – and a lovely tradition to establish as part of Family Christmas