We are fans of spending family time together and have come to love holidays where we can take all the family including Alvin the dog.
At Half term we went to Sand le Mere on the Yorkshire coast, 2 hours away from our home on the Yorkshire coast (Hey Yorkshire is big and we live in North Yorkshire and Sand le Mere is in East Yorkshire).
Now I am going to preface this post with the fact that it was WET, very wet, it rained every day bar one when we were there and then Mini got tonsillitis, but inspite of all that we had a lovely time and I can safely say Sand le Mere got the thumbs up from us.
We stayed in a two bedroom caravan and it was great. Perfect for all of us with a double bedroom and loo for us and a twin room for the boys. We took Alvin’s crate and bed and he was a very happy pup.
What to do at Sands Le Mere when you are nine (by Maxi)
- Go in the pool – the pool at Sand Le Mere is ace
- Go to the Park and play football – There was always load of other kids at the park and it was fun to play with them
- Take your scooter and explore
- Play air hockey – it was a £1, but I love air hockey
- I enjoyed walking Alvin round the park
- The entertainment is really fun and it runs during the day and evening
- There is a soft play area, but I was about the biggest in it!
- Make sure you save yourt 2p’s before you visit for the penny falls in the arcade
What we thought of Sand le Mere as a family:
What we loved:
- The pool was excellent, never too busy and the boys adored it. The lifeguard was strict, which as a mum I love.
- The evening entertainment was ace according to the MiniMads. it was perfectly pitched at kids and not inappropriate at all. They even managed to get MadDad up on stage with Mini!
- We could take ALL the family including Alvin
- Free Wifi in the central complex
- The onsite shop was reasonably priced
- The beach is walkable
- The soft play area inside is small but perfectly formed
- The boys loved the arcades especially the tuppenny falls and air hockey.
We weren’t keen:
- We tried out the food and I wasn’t really impressed. It was just frozen stuff warmed up. But saying that I am pretty picky and the boys didn’t mind it at all!
Things to do nearby:
- The Deep
- Fort Paull
- Spurn point
- Hornsea FreePort (which is doggy friendly)
- RAF Holmpton
- Burton Constable
- East Park, Hull
- Arctic Corsair
- Streetlife Museum of Transport
Disclosure: We were invited by Sand Le Mere to visit
It sounds like a great place for a trip away! Glad you had a fab time even with the rain and tonsillitis! x
I am really craving a trip to the seaside at the moment so the idea of having the beach within walking distance sounds perfect!
I really appreciate it when sites cater for the whole family, including pets. Our Border Collie loves to travel with us. Some great ideas to keep a 9year old busy
I hope Mini is better x
Lots of plus points! Glad you had a great time – I never realised Yorkshire was so big!! x
Sounds like a great break despite the rain. I don’t think that you ever grow out of the 2p falls. We had several games of air hockey ourselves last week and I discovered a very competitive streak inside myself!
Glad you had a good time despite the rain – and wow, I didn’t realise Yorkshire was so big!
Despite the rain, it sounds like you had a great time! Great list of a variety of things to do. Would be fab if you shared your review on the Britmums Review Round up http://www.britmums.com/2014/07/reviews-round-up-what-a-come-back/
aaah, tuppenny falls – I love them! Sorry to hear about the tonsilitis etc, but it sounds as though Sand Le Mere must be pretty brilliant if you still managed to have a good time.
Sounds like there is lots to do, glad you had a good time x
Shame about the food but as you had fun I think this didn’t mater so much.
I’ve read a lot about Sand Le Mere, always positive. Glad to hear that you all enjoyed your time away. Lots of great things to do. Sorry to hear that the food wasn’t great though.
Such a shame about the food, I find it really difficult to find fresh cooked food these days. Looks like they provided plenty of stuff for the kids though
Sounds like there’s loads to do there – I can see I’m going to have to venture ‘up north’!
What a great sounding place, I love that it sound like there is so much to do 🙂 x
This isn’t some where I’ve heard, but sounds great for a family break
It does sound like a really great place with some fun things for kids to do. Thanks for linking up with #TriedTested
My three love the 2p machines more than anything else when we visit the seaside I think! We’re off for a day trip to Skegness soon and they can’t wait to get to the arcades! Me, I can’t wait to eat fish and chips on the beach followed by warm, freshly baked doughnuts!