My mum was an amazing cook and baker and growing up our home was filled with the smell of cooking and baking. She cooked everything from scratch including bread and biscuits. One of my favorite things that she baked was her savory scones. She could whip them up in 10 minutes flat and always said that the less you handled them the better they were. She never rolled our her scones, she just patted them down and often just cut the in to triangles rather than cut them in to circles.
When my mum died I took her cook books, but to be honest most of the time she cooked from memory. I have this recipe as she used to cook it for me when she came to visit when we lived down south as she knew how much I adored them. The secret ingredient is paprika, which is used in a very small amount to add a smokey flavour to the scones
Ingredients (makes 12)
- 300g self-raising flour
- 75g cold butter cubed
- 100g Char-grilled Peppers (chopped)
- ½ tsp Paprika
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 100ml milk
- 1 egg
- Heat your oven to 220 degrees c (gas mark 7) and lightly grease a baking tray or use a silicone baking sheet on top of a tray.
- Place flour and baking powder in to a bowl and rub in the butter until it resembles bread crumbs (I actually use my food blender for this part and just give it a quick pulse).
- Crack and beat the egg and add enough milk to it to make 150ml.
- Add the peppers and paprika (the paprika adds a lovely smoky hint to the scones without overpowering them) to the liquid and mix in to the dry mix with a butter knife till it is a soft dough. Do not over mix.
- On a lightly floured surface kneed until smooth and roll out till around 1 cm thick (I just press with my hands).
- Cut with a 7cm (ish) cutter ( you will get approx 12 scones)
- Place on the baking tray and brush the tops of them with some milk (try not to go over the edge as it stops them rising evenly)
- Bake for 15 minutes and place on a wire rack to cool.
These look delicious. I love baking things that were handed down through the family. I hope you’re having a wonderful time away. x
Jen they look yummy. Might have to try them. Waves xxxxx
That looks heavenly! can i have a bite?:)