Our children are growing up and learning in an environment so different to when I was at school. Online technology is a given. Video content is available at the click of a button. I remember the school only having one TV on wheels and often my class would come to my parents house to watch a TV program! For the last month or so we have been reviewing the MWorld app and I can safely say that the boys have loved it and both MadDad and me think it is a fantastic way of reinforcing learning without kids even thinking they are learning. What is MWorld?
It’s no longer just the ‘birds and the bees’ we need to talk to our children about!
1) How many PEGI ratings are there?
A) There are five age ratings; 3, 7, 12, 16, 18
2) Which 3 PEGI age ratings are legally enforceable?
A) The 12, 16 and 18 ratings are legally enforceable for retailers – 3 and 7 are advisory only.
3) How many PEGI Content Descriptor icons are there?
A) Content Descriptors explain a little bit more about why something has been given a particular rating. There are 8 in total
4) What does the Spider icon mean?
A) It means “Fear” – i.e. it might be frighening for younger children (handy to know, as my younger daughter is quite sensitive!)
5) What does the Fist icon mean?
A) It means that the game in question will include depictions of violence.
6) Parental Controls are available on Smart Phones; True or False?
7) Parental Control features on a video games console can be used to control the amount of time that your child plays on the device per day? True/False?
A) True. This is an absolute GODSEND for me to have found out, especially when it comes to no.1 daughter, who is notoriously difficult to wrench away from games!
The second part of the challenge was for us to set up Parental Controls on our Xbox. You can see how I got on below: