Do you remember hearing about KLM putting on a screening of Disney’s Planes on for a group of children?
Just take a look at this video if you haven’t already seen it.
As you all must know by now we are off to Florida on the holiday of a lifetime with our children in just under a month and I want to share my top tips for making flights as easy as possible for children.
- Arrive early. Make sure you allow lots of time. A less stressed parents means less stressed children and also means that you will all be more relaxed.
- Pack well. Give each child their own hand luggage which they can carry. My boys have a playawaycase, which will contain things for entertaining them in the airport and on the plane. Do not let them pack themselves unless they are old enough as you do not want a bag full of toy cars and nothing else! If you child needs a certain blanket or teddy to get to sleep make sure you pack that in hand luggage too.
- Prebook your seats – It is worthwhile prebooking your seats together if you can before you get to the airport. This way their is no anxiety about all sitting together.
- Keep the activities coming – Make sure you have lots of activities for on the plane. We like top trumps cards, books, colouring and handheld consoles. Make sure that all electronics are fully charged
- Pack child sized headphones – I always make sure that my boys have their own sets of headphones that fit them and are comfortable.
- Keep them fed and watered – Pack lots of snacks and buy drinks once you are through security. A sweet to suck during takeoff and landing can help with ear pain.
- Give them a camera – I encourage my boys to keep a travel journal and to take their own images for it. Kids love cameras and you can set challenges to take yellow images if you are delayed.
- Locate the loo’s – Make sure you locate the loos in the airport and visit them before moving on to boarding. Children always need the toilet at the most inconvenient times.
- Do not forget medicine – If your child takes medication make sure to pack it along with a prescription too. I also always pack paracetamol, travel sickness products and a sick bag just in case. Excitement can show itself in many new ways!
- Baby wipes – never travel anywhere without baby wipes, they are amazing!