We have made corn flour dough before, but using salt, however, I was keen to find a different recipe with more of a smooth texture that was a bit more malleable for the boys to use. We have tried Nurturestore’s 2 ingredients white dough and love it, but we also tried the following white clay recipe and the boys decided that this is their favourite go-to salt dough replacement.
How to make white clay:
- 1 cup bicarbonate of soda (baking soda)
- 1/2 cup corn flour (corn starch)
- 3/4 cup of warm water
Add the bicarb and then corn flour (starch) into the pan and then add the warm water – tap temperature is fine. Then stir over medium heat until to bubbles form and the mixture starts to pull away from the side of the pan,
We then placed the dough onto a mat and allowed it to cool for a couple of minutes before giving it a kneed.
You can use this dough warm or cold and it is a beautifully soft and pliable dough just like play dough.
How to dry white clay:
We had such fun rolling and cutting this dough and it is really easy to use. The boys transferred their finished ornaments to a baking tray and we used a straw to make a hole for ribbon in the ones we wanted to hang from the tree.
We made a variety of ornaments in different sizes.
We bake them in the oven at 80 Centigrade, about 160 Fahrenheit for two hours turning once and then leaving them overnight to dry thoroughly.
As long as you bake them at a low temperature you will not colour the dough, but if you are concerned then you can leave them to air dry, but this will take about three days to dry totally. (especially in the UK)!
The other thing is this white clay is fantastic to paint on or you could just stick decorations on and show off that beautiful whiteness.
Alternative White Clay recipe
The best Clay to buy – you can dry it in the Microwave
- Staedtler Fimo air light 8131 clay is a ready to use, very light water-based modelling clay dries in the air or in only 10 minute in microwave ovens. Extremely lightweight dimensionally stable clay. Neutral smelling gives pleasant feel. Does not stick to hands. Ideal for art, recreation and hobby as well as for educational purposes in schools, kindergartens and other similar facilities. Foil packaging prevents a drying out of the medelling clay. Can be modified or reworked repeatedly glued, painted, varnished. Available in white colour. Made in Germany. Box Contains 1x 250 gm Modelling Clay
- Air hardening soft modelling clay
- Can be dried in a microwave
- soft and easily maleable
- For models, jewellery and other craft items