We love near the beach in the UK and love spending time in the sand, sun and sea, but the sun is not always forthcoming in North Yorkshire, but you could get over that by looking for holidays in Cape Verde, which is around 6 hours from the UK by plane.
The secret for enjoying a day at the beach is what you take with you and I have some great hints and tips.
- Leave towels at home for the younger children and purchase towelling dresses or robes instead. It is much easier to just pop them on when they are wet and cold.
- Talc or baby powder is great for removing sand off feet before putting your shoes on.
- Get some shade – a beach umbrella is a must with children, even better is a UV tent as they can take a nap in it.
- Take plenty of sunscreen. Even if it says it is water proof please reapply every time they have been in the water.
- A string bag is perfect for carrying beach toys.
- Take beach toys, bucket, spade, ball, flying disc and cars or diggers.
- Take snacks and water. I pack my snacks in individual bags as sand will always find a way in to an open bag. The same with water, it is better to pack multiple bottles than one large one.
- Take spare change for ice creams and beach snacks. Never take a lot of cash or your cards.
- If you want to take photo’s – make sure it is just a cheap compact camera – sand and camera lenses do not mix well. Or even better take a waterproof one.
- Hats are a must for everyone.
- We always take a couple of UV suits so that they can use one against the other.
- Beach shoes are great if you are going to a rocky area.
Very good advice there.. i never forget sunscreen and hats when going to the beach!